The track arangement consists of 14 bogie boxes, 7 pcs per track. Each bogie box has 4 carrier wheels, which means that the trolley rolls a total of 56 carrier wheels. The wheels do not have direct contact with the tracks, they are rolling on the bushes in which the track bolt runs. In order to extend the time when the wheels are in contact with the bushes, these have a bevel which is clearly visible on the bushes we have replaced.
The bogie boxes with their four wheels.
The track plates with new bushings where the bevel is clearly visible.
The tracks are old and worn. Therefore the track plates must be adjusted before we can mount the tracks. The left picture shows an original plate and the right picture shows the same plate after it has been adjusted.
We are using a reamer to fit the new track bolts into the track plates. All in order for them to run smoothly over the drive- and tension wheels.
During last spring and summer there wasn’t much done on the 21-29. There was a number of smaller projects with higher priority that took our time.
But now we are back on track again. These are the tracks to be checked and made ready. Each track consists of 75 plates and we have to change about 90% of the track bolts and also a large number of the bushings. To make it more easily done, we build smaller tracks with 5 to 6 plates, and then we put them together into complete tracks. Changing the track bolts is relatively simple, it takes a lot longer to fit the new bushes, but with patience and a good mood it’s possible.
In anticipation of being done
and some with new track bolts.
Almost 3 months have passed since we did something to the 21-29. The reason is that we have been waiting for a delivery of spare parts to the track. Finally, last week some boxes arrived with the long-awaited parts.
Now we have a summer break, but in August we will start renovating the tracks again. When they are finished, the carriage can move by itself for the first time in almost 50 years. What a lovely experience it will be!
On the internet there is a picture of a LK II running without a body, where the rider sits on a small platform. We have built a floor and mounted a chair on it to create a functioning driver’s seat. The ergonomics of the driver’s seat is not the best but for limited driving tests, it will work fine.
The power pack was mounted in the frame and it was time to start the engine and check if everything worked as it should. The engine started, the gears went in and out and the drive wheels were spinning.
Look, listen and enjoy!!
The tank has only two seats, one seat for the driver and a stool for the commander, which both are missing. We have therefore taken a chair from a KP armed car, painted it and covered it with a coarse green cloth. The stool remains in the tank standing at the museum, as such, we can produce it later.
We have got oil for the gearbox, the steering gear and the final drives. We have filled a few liters in each unit, mainly to see and verify that there are no leaks anywhere. If everything looks good, it is time to start the engine again and check if the gearbox and the steering gear works properly.