At the first test run we did not have all the controls connected. We had to drive at constant engine speed. Now we have connected the throttle linkage, choke and ignition adjustment so at the next test run we have significantly better opportunities to perform a controlled test of all functions.
The fuel tank and battery are now mounted on a plate at the bottom of the frame. When the panels come into place, they are not visible, but will be easy to access.
The electrical system is provisionally connected to all functions that are related to the engine (start, stop and fuel pump). The instrument board is mounted for easy access from the driver.
Now it is time to test the wagon. But since it has not rolled for its own machine since the early 40’s, there are a lot of preparations to make before it’s time to start the engine and roll away.
A highly concentrated driver is prepared.
Now we are back after Christmas and New Year’s leave and the first thing we did was to mount the right track. There was a lot of violence required to get to the last track plate, but then the track went on very well.
The next step is to check that the drive and, above all, the steering work as it should.
The 21-29 wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
We will be back in January.
We need to change all track bolts which are locked with sprints.
To get out of the old track bolts, first the sprint must be grinded out and the bolt should be ejected. Sometimes it is very much needed for it to succeed.
But now the whole band is dismantled and we have a hefty pile of track plates that will be made in order.
Now the left track is mounted. It was difficult to mount the last bolt, but with the help of a pipe wrench and two track tools it was possible to get it in place. Now it’s time to fix the second band and then it’s time for trial run.
Time to mount the left track. We pulled the track with a hand winch and added track parts. According to the instruction manual, each track has to consist of 75 plates, but sins the plates are old and worn, 73 seem to work properly.
Now it’s only the last track bolt that’s missing before the track is ready.
More than 4 years have passed since we started renovating the 21-29th. We started with a complete wagon, which we were going to make ready for driving. We rolled it into the workshop
and after a few months it was mounted down and turned into a lot of loose parts packed in pallets and pink plastic bags.
Then the work began to blast and paint all loose parts. The larger parts we did not manage by ourselves so we sent them to a blasting company that had significantly better resources than we did.
When everything was blasted and painted, we started to assemble the wagon, which consisted of two main parts, body and undercarriage. The body was not so complicated, it was only doors, a tower and instrumentation that was to be mounted. The undercarrige contains of the power pack and the driving line and it was a hard jobb to get everything in correct order.
Then came the big moment when the engine and driving line were tested.
What remains is to fix the tracks and to mount the body. There is still a lot to do but now we see the beginning of the end of the renovation.