Finally we have got a run on the steering gear. We have run a number of times and the total mileage is between 500 and 600 m. The steering is a type of clutch/brake and it has taken time to adjust, because just as the clutch begins to release, the brake must be applied. Therefore, a lot of time and many practical tests have been required before the steering gear was properly adjusted.
In the movie below we see one of the first test runs.
At the first test run we did not have all the controls connected. We had to drive at constant engine speed. Now we have connected the throttle linkage, choke and ignition adjustment so at the next test run we have significantly better opportunities to perform a controlled test of all functions.
The fuel tank and battery are now mounted on a plate at the bottom of the frame. When the panels come into place, they are not visible, but will be easy to access.
The electrical system is provisionally connected to all functions that are related to the engine (start, stop and fuel pump). The instrument board is mounted for easy access from the driver.
After 80 years it’s time to move for its own machine. Absolutely amazing to see. Not to mention the curve technique, a great pleasure.
Then it was time to get back into the workshop, because there is still a lot to do before everything is ready.
Now it is time to test the wagon. But since it has not rolled for its own machine since the early 40’s, there are a lot of preparations to make before it’s time to start the engine and roll away.
A highly concentrated driver is prepared.
Now we are back after Christmas and New Year’s leave and the first thing we did was to mount the right track. There was a lot of violence required to get to the last track plate, but then the track went on very well.
The next step is to check that the drive and, above all, the steering work as it should.
The 21-29 wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
We will be back in January.
We need to change all track bolts which are locked with sprints.
To get out of the old track bolts, first the sprint must be grinded out and the bolt should be ejected. Sometimes it is very much needed for it to succeed.
But now the whole band is dismantled and we have a hefty pile of track plates that will be made in order.
Now the left track is mounted. It was difficult to mount the last bolt, but with the help of a pipe wrench and two track tools it was possible to get it in place. Now it’s time to fix the second band and then it’s time for trial run.
Time to mount the left track. We pulled the track with a hand winch and added track parts. According to the instruction manual, each track has to consist of 75 plates, but sins the plates are old and worn, 73 seem to work properly.
Now it’s only the last track bolt that’s missing before the track is ready.