Time to mount the left track. We pulled the track with a hand winch and added track parts. According to the instruction manual, each track has to consist of 75 plates, but sins the plates are old and worn, 73 seem to work properly.
Now it’s only the last track bolt that’s missing before the track is ready.
More than 4 years have passed since we started renovating the 21-29th. We started with a complete wagon, which we were going to make ready for driving. We rolled it into the workshop
and after a few months it was mounted down and turned into a lot of loose parts packed in pallets and pink plastic bags.
Then the work began to blast and paint all loose parts. The larger parts we did not manage by ourselves so we sent them to a blasting company that had significantly better resources than we did.
When everything was blasted and painted, we started to assemble the wagon, which consisted of two main parts, body and undercarriage. The body was not so complicated, it was only doors, a tower and instrumentation that was to be mounted. The undercarrige contains of the power pack and the driving line and it was a hard jobb to get everything in correct order.
Then came the big moment when the engine and driving line were tested.
What remains is to fix the tracks and to mount the body. There is still a lot to do but now we see the beginning of the end of the renovation.
On the internet there is a picture of a LK II running without a body, where the rider sits on a small platform. We have built a floor and mounted a chair on it to create a functioning driver’s seat. The ergonomics of the driver’s seat is not the best but for limited driving tests, it will work fine.
While a renovation is going on, it is easy to forget how the different parts looked like before we did order them. Therefore, I have done some before and after pictures to show the incredible difference cleaning, painting and general tidying-up does. Not to mention the feeling of knowing that things work as they should.
We start with the powertrain: engine, gear box and steering gear.
Instrumentation and wiring.
We have also replaced the modern rod antenna with a loop antenna.
Now it is time for the engine package to be put in the right place..
With the help of a wheel loader it came out in the fresh air.
It became a god reunion with the chassi.
The two fit together very well!
In the engine room there was a big gray lump that turned out to be the fuel tank. When we removed it, we discovered that it was made of copper.
But it’s a shame to hide beautiful copper with gray paint, so we removed the paint and polished the copper and the result was really good.